You know the drill, it’s a roast chicken, you do it all the time.
Some suggestions for flavourings :
- Did you try sticking a lemon, garlic and rosemary up its date to cook it? If not, give it a go.
- Did you try slicing off a pat of butter, mashing it with salt and thyme and shoving it up between the skin and the breast before bunging it in the oven? Try it.
- Did you use a pastry brush to spread melted duck fat all over the outside and give it a good go with salt and pepper? Nope? Totally worth the $5.95 for a tub of duck fat, you don’t use much.
Here are 10 quick ways to use the roast chicken.
You could cook 2 at a time and use leftovers in subsequent meals. Ready?
- As roast chook, served with roast potatoes and whatever veges you can get them to eat.
- In BREAD ROLLS with butter, salt and pepper, an awesome picnic dinner or a Friday CBA dinner
- Shred the chicken, stir it through hot buttered PASTA
- Chop it, serve it with plain rice (NO SAUCE)
- Chuck it into a SOUP, chicken stock, mini noodles, chunks of chicken. I have been sent so many chicken soup recipes by helpful friends that it will get its very own post with variations
- BURGERS – serve it hot in burger buns with cheese and pretty much that’s about it, and maybe tomato sauce in a tall glass with a straw for sauce lovers
- QUESADILLAS! – grated cheese and shredded roast chook between two tortillas in the pan for 30 seconds each side. Serve with avocado, if you want it outright rejected…..
- PIZZA – oh yeah, with pizza sauce for sauce lovers, with cheese only for sauce haters
- In SANDWICHES for school the next day.
- Wrap it in some PASTRY, egg wash on top for a nice golden finish, in the oven for 20 minutes